Tuesday 24 May 2016

Cherry pink and apple blossom white



It turned out to be quite a nice day on Saturday. With temperatures of about 23 degrees Celsius but the sun regularly playing hide and seek, it was rather humid though, and at times it felt like a thunderstorm was brewing.


We decided to take a chance at the charity shops, including a picnic and a little walk in the park along the way.








I wore a short-sleeved white summer dress with a cheerful pattern in pink, red and green, slightly V-necked and with three little white flower buttons at the yoke.

















The dress is made from Terlenka polyester.






This label fell from a shirt Jos was trying on in a charity shop a couple of years ago. Although we didn't buy the shirt, I secretly took the colourful Terlenka label, featuring the iconic elephant, home with me.















While trawling the Internet in search of further information on Terlenka, I came across this advertisement from the 1950s emphasizing Terlenka's drip-drying qualities.




I accessorized the dress with a pink pearly necklace, which I “inherited” from my great-aunt Josephine, my paternal grandmother’s sister and Angelica’s youngest daughter. She died quite a few years before my grandmother and eventually some of her belongings ended up at my parents, who apparently didn't care much for her pieces of costume jewellery. My dad even let my little niece play shop with them and I was lucky enough to be able to rescue some of it from the tangled mess it had become.



I thought the dress would be perfect with my green shoes, bought cheaply at a local shop and very comfortable. Initially, I wore a tomato red jacket, but that soon had to be discarded as it was much too warm. 

Look at that cute green plastic brooch which I found at Cardigan Antique Centre last summer!



The wicker handbag from last week's flea market had its first outing. I'm very pleased with it, especially since I saw the same one at a vintage market on Sunday for € 20 while I only paid € 3.

Dress: Blender Vintage Shop
Jacket: charity shopped
Brooch:Cardigan Antique Centre
Wicker handbag: flea market
Necklace: great-aunt Josephine
Shoes: retail

We took our picnic to a bench in the park, from where we enjoyed the croaking of many invisible frogs in the nearby water garden.



The park looked particularly lush and the air was fragrant with scented flowers and blossoms.


I struck gold at the charity shops as I found no less than five new-to-me tops, costing only € 3 each.

The pink one is from Karen Millen and judging from similar items on their webshop would have cost over € 100 originally.


I particularly love the green knitted sailor-style top from Belgian retro brand "Who's That Girl".
I already have the same top in blue, bought in the sales a couple of years ago.








This photo was taken in Pembrokeshire and yes, I am actually wearing jeans, so please just look at the top (and the scenery).

It was taken at one of the UK's best beaches, at Barafundle Bay.













My final finds were this pretty scarf and enameled peacock brooch, which the silly man at the till said was a seahorse.



That was it for Saturday, but we still had a treat to look forward to on Sunday.

In my next post, I will take you with me to a vintage market!

25 comments:

  1. Wow to all your finds, you did brilliantly. Looks like you had a lovely day out as well.
    I siold off some of my clothes on Saturday, so I've got a nice wedge of money to play out with now heehee.
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I am planning to sell some of mine at a flea market in July, which is being held in our street. xxx

      Delete
  2. It looks NOTHING like a seahorse?!?!?!?!?!
    The green brooch is gorgeous! Love them both! You have such interesting ones.
    That outfit you wore was brilliant- the print is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, but you have quite a few interesting brooches yourself! Anyway, they seem to keep turning up everywhere lately, I don't even have to look very hard. xxx

      Delete
  3. You are the epitome of Spring in that groovy dress, Ann!
    Love the stash of bargain tops you found especially the brown and pink swirly one.
    I don't blame you for liberating that label, I'm a bit of a geek with vintage brands and fonts, too!
    Seahorse? Somebody needs to go to Specsavers!
    If only you were travelling to the UK this week, we're in Cardiff on Monday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only Vix. But I'm sure we'll get to meet some day. How clever of you to spot the only vintage top. It's Swedish design and close-fitting with a zip at the back. xxx

      Delete
  4. pink, red and green - all my "best colors" in one look! fabulous!
    your saturday is right after our taste - some vintage/2.hand/fleamarket shopping and a picnic in a pretty green place - perfect!
    thanks ann for taking us with you!!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Beate. I'm glad I cheered up your day with your favourite colours. xxx

      Delete
  5. Seahorse? See peacock!

    You look fab in your shots. There's a time and place for jeans, and if you want to wear them, fair play to you. I have a friend who's a total jeans fiend and has loads of pairs - and always looks great, because she plans her outfits thoughtfully, they're not 'default jeans'. I definitely prefer your picnic outfit, though :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what that man had for breakfast ... I do prefer my picnic outfit as well. In fact, I try to avoid wearing jeans, but it's very hard to find something to wear when out hiking and you have to climb a few stiles ... xxx

      Delete
  6. What a pretty dress!
    I wore jeans once upon a time, but preferred cords but I'm very hippy so they weren't flattering and I haven't worn trousers in years now xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. I am actually quite "hippy" myself. I wore trousers once upon a time too, but now I see that dresses and skirts suit me much better. xxx

      Delete
  7. Great header photo, and is that a Liberty scarf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should change that header photo to my summer wardrobe ... I'm afraid that's not a Liberty scarf - no such luck - but it's very pretty, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh my, I love your first outfit. The print is right up my street and I will be eternally jealous of your straw bag. I wanted a bag just like that for my latest outfit post. I really enjoy your style of post, always so detailed and sprinkled with personal anecdotes. You have gained yourself a long-time reader!
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Donna! I had been looking for a similar bag for a while. As luck would have it, I saw another one just like it last Sunday, only much more expensive as I only paid € 3. xxx

      Delete
  9. I learn so much from blogging-before the internet I thought polyester was just, polyester. I love all the different brand names the product had around the world.

    I have terrible eyesight and even I could tell that's not a seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why I'm a Polyester Princess, Goody. Glad to be of service. I told you the man was silly ... xxx

      Delete
  10. I learn so much from blogging-before the internet I thought polyester was just, polyester. I love all the different brand names the product had around the world.

    I have terrible eyesight and even I could tell that's not a seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You covered everything I love! Picnics, charity shopping, flowers, colour everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A flying seahorse with feathers, how unusual. That's rare, that is Ann, I'm surprised he didn't bump the price up for that! :D That Terlenka label is gorgeous, not surprised you nicked it. Oh, picnicking in the park, how wonderful. May you have many more this summer! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I told him it was a peacock, he didn't look very convinced ... I do love picnicking in summer. We even picnic in winter and when it rains we have a "car picnic" xxx

      Delete
  13. Your wicker bag is slaying me! Swoon! I just love seeing such a classic handbag shape, with a fold over top, done up in wicker like that. I'm soooo going to be hunting for a similar one of my own now. :)

    Oodles of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* It's excellent that you were able to salvage some of your great-aunt's jewelry. Wonderful job on doing so, dear Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the wicker handbag as I had been looking for a similar one for ages. xxx

      Delete