Tuesday 3 May 2016

It's the end of the world as we know it

Well, of my world anyway. So to speak. Within the space of one week I found out that two of my favourite vintage shops are closing down, which I must admit was quite a shock to the system.

First up was Vintage Styling. This vintage clothing shop in the centre of Antwerp was a breath of fresh air. Until its launch in 2014, I was used to rummaging through rails of clothing in charity shops and lesser-quality vintage shops, eventually unearthing that one 1960s or 1970s gem.



Not so at Vintage Styling, where everything was beautifully laid out and where clothing was clean and did not require immediate repairs. The shop was more expensive than what I was used to pay, though, but not so that I wasn’t able to treat myself now and then.

Unfortunate though it is that the shop is expected to close end of June, until then they are holding a big sale in a bid to get rid of as many of their stock as possible. Dresses were down to € 10 and € 15 the last time I visited, which was last Thursday.

This is what I got:



A summery Diolen two-piece, the jacket of which has a little peplum.










and a dark green flowery dress, also made from Diolen.

















A few days after Vintage Styling’s news, I read on Facebook that Blender Vintage Shop, which I blogged about in March (here), will be closing down at the end of the year as well.
As we have found many wonderful things at this shop, which we have been visiting once a month since the autumn of 2013, it will sorely be missed.







On Saturday, we decided to give the charity shops a miss, and pay our monthly visit to Blender Vintage Shop one day early.









This is what I wore: a handmade dress (not by me, of course) in a rather coarsely woven white polyester fabric, featuring huge orange and purple flowers.















The collar and hem are in a different, solid purple, fabric. I wore an orange cardigan with a white felt flower pinned to it, a purple necklace and dusky purple tights. Even the vintage slip I wore underneath was in a coordinating colour!




Blender Vintage Shop had a clothing sale on: if you bought three pieces, you got a fourth one for free.

I bought a short-sleeved blouse/jacket (paired here with a 1970s Trevira skirt), a patterned skirt in pink, lilac and blue and a yellow short-sleeved jumper, all shown here by Angelica, who has really been earning her keep this week.



They also had a rail of maxis, and now that I’m a convert, I couldn’t resist trying on some, deciding on this beauty for € 5.


I thought I wouldn't have any other finds to show you this time, but it turns out I was wrong. Actually, they are not finds, but gifts! As my friend Inez's mother Lydia recently had to move into a care home, she is in the process of sorting out her mother's flat and we were given some nice things, which we are only too happy to re-home.


A wool and cashmere black winter coat, which hopefully I won't be needing any time soon, and a summer "peignoir" in a gorgeous peachy pink colour.

We also came home with a little clock, a coffee filter holder (made by Emsa), a beautiful old tin and a gorgeous bedspread.


This wicker sewing basket needs a little bit of TLC on the outside but look at that fabulous lining! It is joined here by another little basket which will come in useful.


Finally, these lovely cushions, made by Lydia herself, which have found a good home on our sofa. Look at those amazing colours! Phoebe still has to get used to them, though. She's still giving the sofa angry looks and a very wide berth ...


Aren't cats funny creatures?

21 comments:

  1. oH MY, what a fabulous blog post full of goodies. You really have had a great haul of stuff. The cushions are my favourite as we have a full size to the floor crotchet bedspread that my friend Helen made along with several cushions, a hippo, a flower hanging and a long legged Hector.
    Im really sad to hear about the vintage shops closing though. Such a loss.
    Finally you have beaten me into venturing into the maxi dress thing. I better have a go at one now as I don't want leaving behind by you girls.
    LYnn x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia will be honoured that her cushions are getting so much love. I am mystified though as to what exactly a long legged Hector is, though. Do tell me. As for the maxi dresses, I have to admit that I still have to leave the house in one ... xxx

      Delete
  2. Phoebe is as bad as our beasts, they hate anything new and eye it with suspicion - attacking it when our backs are turned!
    What a fab haul of vintage fabulousness - that maxi is incredible - the sleeves!!! Loving the Diolen two piece and the super dress you're wearing. Lynn's a vintage slip fan, too - I know, she's always stripping off at Stockport!!
    Lydia must be a terrifically stylish lady, that coat is gorgeous, you'll look like a Russian princess come Winter (hopefully months away!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all cats are like that ... except when you come home with some kind of box, which Phoebe will immediately claim. Lydia will be honoured that she is being called a stylish lady. She had an English grandmother, by the way. xxx

      Delete
  3. What lovely, lovely things, all in one post, I can't pick a favourite but the maxi is a stunner!

    That's a shame about your favourite shops, I'd be sad too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie, and I knew you'd understand about the shops.

      Delete
  4. Orange and purple in one dress-be still my heart! That is one special dress.

    I really do mourn the loss of favourite shops. Yes, there's the internet but it is no substitute for shopping in person.

    The sleeves on that maxi are fantastic, but I really love the print. It will be a nice item to remember a favourite shop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I love the print on that orange and purple dress, I'm not sure about the fabric, but hopefully it will grow on me. I will remember both shops fondly every time I use or wear something I bought there. xxx

      Delete
  5. Orange and purple in one dress-be still my heart! That is one special dress.

    I really do mourn the loss of favourite shops. Yes, there's the internet but it is no substitute for shopping in person.

    The sleeves on that maxi are fantastic, but I really love the print. It will be a nice item to remember a favourite shop by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, that's quite the "one, two punch" isn't it? I'm very sorry that two of your favourite local vintage shops are going the way of the dinosaur. So sad, so very sad :(

    I love the pieces that you were able to pick up before they did though, with the autumnal hued two-piece set being my very favourite. On the off chance you ever tire of such and want to give it a new home, I will happily adopt it in a heartbeat.

    Tons of hugs & joyful wishes for May,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I'll definitely think of you if I ever tire of the two-piece. I think it would look great on you. xxx

      Delete
  7. What an amazing lot of goodies! I do love the cashmere coat, that looks like a truly staple winter addition. So sad to hear two local vintage shops are closing down. It's such a shame when they don't last. I don't have a single one near me, so I always have to go afar if I want to have a good rummage. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate! In Antwerp, where I work, are quite a few nice shops, so I won't be without. But I'll definitely miss those two, as they were quite unique. xxx

      Delete
  8. Cats are little weirdos!

    Such a shame that the shops are closing down, especially as you used them so much. It looks like you've got some really nice stuff from both there.

    Those cushions are fab. Granny squares are simple to make, but it can be so hard to get colours to work right. Those really do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, Mim, and none more so than our Phoebe! I will make the most of those shops while they are still there, though ... xxx

      Delete
  9. maybe you should give your cat sunglasses ;-)
    this is very sad about that shops! how does it come? but from an other perspective you have the chance to stock up on pretty dresses and such for the next years for little money. without the fear that moths will eat your stock :-)
    the winter coat is just gorgeous! and all that flamboyant prints make me happy!
    hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A black cat with dark sunglasses would be a very weird sight, I guess ;-). I'll definitely stock up on some dresses, but I do have some stuff that moths like to nibble ... xxx

      Delete
  10. That's so sad about the shops. I am always sad when shops close down. I hope you manage to find some treasures there!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed sad that they have to close down. The nice owner of Vintage Styling told me she has been seeing less customers since the attacks in Brussels in March. How sad is that? xxx

      Delete
  11. Wow, look at all these treasures. I can't quite take them all in. The yellow jumper is lovely as is that amazing 5€ maxi and your baskets. Bad news about those vintage shops 😟 What ever are you going to do? I had a Diolen skirt which I bought from Vix. It's lovely to hear a bit more about labels. I'll always associate it with you now Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. I have lots of Diolen, especially in my summer wardrobe. I could be the Diolen Princess, I guess ;-) I will miss those shops, but luckily there's still some vintage to be found in Antwerp.

      Delete