Friday 16 December 2016

Raspberry beret

Last weekend, I bought a raspberry beret, though unlike the subject of Prince's song, I didn't find it at a second hand store, but at last Sunday's flea market.


I'm always on the lookout for berets, which I'd like to have in as many colours as possible. Jos would add that I'm always losing them, but honestly, that's not true: I only lost two so far. To be fair: they were two of my favourites, both "Kangols" to boot. It's a good thing they were all bought second hand, but still ...

Anyway, I am digressing here.

The flea market we went to on Sunday was the last one of its kind this year. It's an outing we always look forward to, as we've yet to come home empty handed.





I started out wearing a red felt hat - and not the beret, of course - as well as a purple flower embroidered velvet scarf, which I bought for € 0,50 at a flea market about a year ago.

The red woollen jacket often accompanies me to flea markets at this time of year.

I actually prefer wearing a jacket rather than a full length coat to fleas, so that I can rummage through ground level boxes without ruining my coat's hemline.










I couldn't resist wearing my new blouse, which I combined with a 1970s Trevira front-pleat A-line skirt in a greyish blue. I have the same one in chocolate brown, and both still have their original belts.


This time, I replaced the belt with a shiny black vinyl one.


I chose a blue cardigan to wear on top and my accessories consisted of a red plastic ring, vintage red plastic beads and a brooch featuring a pair of sparkling blackbirds.



We had hardly made a start when we came across this wooden Scottie dog. I don't know what it is with me lately. Although I am much more of a cat person, cute dog ornaments and brooches suddenly appeal to me. But no worries, I'll still end up a crazy cat lady, of that I'm sure!


Next up was this 1950s hairdryer with chrome body and Bakelite handle. Originally priced at € 8, but already reduced to € 3 as the guys selling it were having a clearance, we were practically begged to take it off their hands for € 2.






It's from a German brand named "Schott" and it seems that there was a black Bakelite version as well.

Apparently, it is missing the nozzle, but I never use that anyway.

It was still in working order, but Jos has been bringing the electrics up to date so that I can actually start using it.











From the same stall, we bought some more Bakelite, both at silly prices.

A small lidded box ...



... and a cute little torch.



We continued our journey, and had only gone a few paces when a boxful of vintage buttons caught my eye.

I am not a sewer, just a  "replacer-of-buttons", which of course is a necessity when buying vintage clothing, and I can never ever resist a rummage through some vintage buttons.

They are so much nicer than what's on sale nowadays, and as these were only € 1 per set, it would have been rude not to buy any.


The "brooch lady" doesn't have a pitch at this market, more's the pity, but I still managed to find a couple of nice brooches, as well as a pair of amber coloured earrings, for € 2 each.

It looks like one of the elephants was trying to escape, the little rascal, which was soon fixed by my personal handy-man, Jos.


I came across several drool-worthy brooches, but all were way beyond what I was willing to pay.

The owner of one stall, who trades at several flea markets we are frequenting, automatically says € 10 when asked for a price. Now, I'm not saying that some of her things aren't worth € 10,- but she never, ever differentiates. If you look doubtful, she adds that the item is "old".

Nevertheless, we can never resist asking her the price of at least one item just to test her.



Ever since I blogged about my first proper collection, the keyrings, I always look out for them on flea markets and often end up buying some I remember having as a child.

Aren't those chocolate bars and the Dreft washing up liquid (Belgium's version of Fairy Liquid) super cute?
I loved playing with these as a child, so no wonder most of them didn't survive ...

Our last purchase was the raspberry pink beret, which cost € 2, and which neatly brings us back to the start of this post!

No flea markets this weekend, so what shall we do?

Whatever it is, it won't be Christmas shopping, that's for sure!

37 comments:

  1. That blouse looks even more fabulous on! Great find with the beret, that's a smashing colour on you - as is the red outfit. Whenever I've come across berets lately, usually Kangol or good old St Michael on closer inspection they've always been nibbled by moths....boo!
    Love those buttons, the clip earrings and those amazing keyrings.
    No idea what we're doing this weekend either but, like you and Jos, it definitely won't involve Xmas shopping - perish the thought!
    Have a fabulous one whatever you do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! I've a feeling that blouse will have many more outings. My problem with berets is that most of them are too big for me ... also boo! We did get to go to a flea market on Saturday in the end ... xxx

      Delete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one avoiding Christmas shopping.

    I love your bold blouse!

    I'm also addicted to berets. I was once told that only women under the age of 25 can wear a beret!!! HA!

    I found you via Vix's blog. I'm an avid thrifter and vintage lover too.

    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and comment, Suzanne. In the meantime, I've already popped over to yours! I hadn't heard that one about wearing berets. Not that I care, of course! xxx

      Delete
  3. Love the blackbird brooch, your red jacket and the gorgeous hairdryer. Oh, and the Bakelite torch is a beauty!

    I love berets too, but can't really wear wool close to my skin as it irritates like the very devil. Doesn't stop me having them though! I'm wearing a chunky knit pink man-made fibre(thankfully) pink beret st the moment xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray for man-made fibres, so that you can have your fix of berets! xxx

      Delete
  4. We have a Schott tea kettle. My son once played the obvious joke of telling me,"The tea kettle is shot" (ruined) before he fell apart laughing at his own joke. Anyway, I love that hairdryer though I wouldn't trade today's lightweight appliances for those weighty ones that wear out your arms.

    The blackbirds brooch is beautiful, as is your outfit. You look so good in blue and red.

    I had to drive past a shopping centre yesterday-it looked like madness with all the cars. I'm so glad I don't need to be subjected to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hairdryer is a bit on the heavy side, but I was using a vintage one already anyway. Luckily, my hair is quite short, as I wouldn't be able to hold it up for long. xxx

      Delete
  5. you know - i love berets too - its so fab that they are come in all colors of the rainbow!!
    my granny had that hairdryer in black still at work in my childhood. there was an "air bonnet" attached to dry the wet set evenly! but sometimes the hairdryer did produce a scary lightning!!!
    lovely red wool jacket! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now you're scaring me with the "scary lightning". Hope mine doesn't do that! I've seen those "air bonnets" on-line when researching the dryer ... xxx

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love all your pretty things! How wonderful that Jos is able to fix electrical things. I imagine that hair dryer will be a massively useful.

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jos is a trained electrician, which I must say is very handy! Happy thrifting to you too ;-) xxx

      Delete
  7. I rather like the escaping elephant but you wouldn't want to lose it so probably wise to fix it firm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was trying to escape and run off to you? Anyway, I'm glad he's fixed now, as it would have been sad to lose him ... xxx

      Delete
  8. You look fabulous in your 'Raspberry Beret'. I have actual Raspberries in my garden!! My you found some great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so jealous! I love raspberries. Eventually, it will be summer here again ...

      Delete
  9. As soon as I saw the title of this post I was humming the Prince song! The raspberry beret looks fab on you. You have an eye for detail, those brooches and earrings are gorgeous and that red jacket is exactly the sort of thing I used to wear for work, and like you I try to wear shorter lengths for rummaging. Enjoy your non Christmas shopping weekend, we will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are worse songs to hum. Like Christmas songs, I mean ;-) xxx

      Delete
  10. I have a LOT of berets and woolly beanie hats too - I think we have very similar tastes! The bright blouse is a real beauty, I'd have snapped that one up too, and the Schott hairdyer is wonderful. And who doesn't love vintage buttons? See what I mean? We like the same stuff!
    Dreft was a washing (laundry) powder here in the UK, don't think it's made any more but my mum used to use it when I was a kid. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise. I'd already noticed our tastes are very similar. I have a whole basketful of vintage buttons. The hairdryer has been tried out in the meantime. It's a good thing I have short hair though! Oh, and we still have Dreft washing powder here. xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, that blouse looks amazing on and I love the skirt you've teamed it up with. A really nice outfit. Your beret is great, and I love the colour! Wow, you've really thought that through, the jacket instead of coat thing. That's professional level thrifting!! That Schott hairdryer is the business. You'll need to do some cheesecake shots in your boudoir next!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should do a post on the do's and don'ts of thrifting! I'll be getting my boudoir ready for some cheesecakes shots. I think I still have a vintage babydoll nightdress somewhere ... xxx

      Delete
  12. that old hair dryer is so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, and it's great that it still works too! xxx

      Delete
  13. When you said you hadn't bought your beret in a secondhand store I thought, 'surely not new?!' but no, flea market. I would have been shocked if it had been shop-bought.

    It's great that Jos is so good at fixing things, and putting vintage electronics in working order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be something! Whenever I look at something in the shops, I cannot but exclaim - loudly - that it's so expensive! Jos being a trained electrician is a lifesaver. xxx

      Delete
  14. Love, love, love that hairdryer and those little bits of Bakelite! Then you hit me with all those gorgeous buttons, I particularly love the green ones.
    Have a wonderful Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate. I could do a post about my stash of vintage buttons, I guess. Even as a little girl, I like nothing better than rummaging through my grandmother's button tin. Have a wonderful Christmas too! xxx

      Delete
  15. Such finds!! The buttons are my favourite. I hope you put them to good use x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having a stash of them to replace broken or simply boring buttons on vintage dresses. I once bought some replacement buttons in a haberdashery's, and they cost more per button than a whole set of vintage ones ... xxx

      Delete
  16. I have a raspberry (well, more like cerise if I'm honest) beret too, in fact I'm wearing it in my profile pic. I did buy it in a second hand store, it was 75p...almost as good as a Think Twice price!
    Your red jacket is so striking, and the new blouse looks great with the red beads. That hairdryer is a real find...€2!!! I love coming to your blog Ann, I can poke around at your virtual 'flea market' when I don't have the time to do it for real. Tomorrow I do though, am off to Lewes where they have charity shops in abundance, wish me luck.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be of service, Fiona. Ooh, Lewes, how I wish I could come with you. I was there about 10 years ago (how time flies!) and actually found one of my all-time favourite buys in one of the antique shops! Wishing you lots of fun browsing the chazzas! xxx

      Delete
  17. Your keyring collection is genius! I really like it.
    Shame about the overpriced brooches! I LOVE your blackbird one too!It goes so well with that great blouse!
    Ha, I LOVE your pink beret!!! You lose them!?!??! I leave them lying around at school but they usually find their way back to me! I got a lovely navy beret from Switzerland with a tartan bow in a charity shop yesterday- it still had its original price on as 19,5 CHF!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Swiss beret sounds like a great find! Unfortunately my berets still have to find their way back to me. I lost one on the bus last year and the other one only recently at a choir concert in a church. Oh dear! xxx

      Delete
  18. Your new blouse looks lovely, and the raspberry beret.
    Glad you found some key rings, if I see something that reminds me of my childhood I have such a hard time leaving it behind. I had an Avon Daisy brooch that had solid perfume under the yellow centre, I see it all the time, I could have a collection of the same brooch by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. As for the keyrings, I hope I find the rack my dad made me when I was a girl while clearing my parents' house. It would be lovely to display them on it. xxx

      Delete
  19. Thanku so much for sharing this with us. I was searching for this since a week and after long search I found it on your blog. Thanks man. keyrings

    ReplyDelete